It is currently 27 Apr 2024, 08:52

All times are UTC+02:00

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2007, 04:18 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Voor deze eerste Session editie in de Akhnaton hebben we 2 promomixen van de gastdj's die daar draaien. Ook een een heel leuk interview met Mick Wilson (Parks & Wilson, Tilt)

[hr][align=center][size=150]Sven van Vuren[/size][/align]

tracklist:

01. Gui Boratto / Chromophobia
02. Adam proll / Hummel
03. Ida Engberg / Disco volante
04. Guy Berber / Sea of sand
05. Guy berber / Belly dancing
06. Sander Kleinenberg / this is.. remixes too
07. Earth Audio / Down under / Marcello Castelli rmx
08. Dj Remy & R. Klinkenberg / Bilderdyk drive
09. Greed feat. Lesley / Promises
10. Dominic Plaza / Korny / D-nox & Beckers rmx
11. Nick Warren & Jimmy van M. / One & Only

[url=http://www.podplaza.nl/mediafiles/147281/method_downloadbtn/Sven_van_Vuren_promomix_for_The_Sessions.mp3]Directe Downloadlink[/url]

[url=http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=103215040]iTunes download[/url]

[hr][align=center][size=150]Mick Wilson[/size][/align]

tracklist:

no tracklist..

[url=http://www.podplaza.nl/mediafiles/147318/method_downloadbtn/Mick_Wilson_promomix_for_The_Sessions.mp3]Directe Downloadlink[/url]

[url=http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewPodcast?id=103215040]iTunes download[/url]

Interview:

*How did you first get into music?
I got into music at an early age through know parents. Played the piano, violin that sort of thing, loved it but also hated it. In my teenage years I rebelled and quit playing (little did I know at time the benefit I would get from it all) So I started drinking on the streets and got up to no good. My mother then bought me decks (to keep me of the streets). My dad was always into vinyl and records so I got the bug off him and started the whole DJ thing which then led onto productions, bands, groupies and lots of sex (I was going to say some of the latter isn’t true but it all is!)

*You crashed onto the scene as a member of Tilt, making futuristic trance that was way ahead of its time - tell us a bit about that time please?
We were making music a long time before Tilt, on labels like Stress and 23rd Precinct Records; we were always into the future sound of music and pushing the boundaries within genres, even then before the term “progressive” was coined, we just wanted to make dance music that while being out there was not to far removed to be danced too. We loved all the pioneers like Vince Clark and Electronic bands from the day Depeche Mode, Cabaret Voltaire, (too many to mention) and all the producers and took lots of influence from them. Electronica/Trance/Dance was a different tiger to what it is now, mind you to be honest I have always hated pigeon hole-ing our sound into genres even though some would, and looking back on it they do fit into the boundaries that where formed around them

*Tell us about how you got involved with Paul Oakenfold at Perfecto?
Good times… the scene was strong, people were coming out to party, the labels had a very strong connection with the clubs and sounds. Clubs like Home in London, Cream in Liverpool, Renaissance and others had their souls in what we and the others were doing back then, they still do (Well the ones that are still going!!). It was dance’s heyday. Working with Paul at Perfecto opened up doors for me to take our music even further with the club nights and associations it brings.

*What was it like to suddenly be headlining the top clubs and jetting all over the world?
This was the payback – rewards and benefits of years of playing dodgy flats to strange people for nothing in run-down council estates. It was great to get to travel around the world and play our music to like-minded souls just dancing, people just wanting to hear what new music was coming through and to be paid for it as well. Like everything, it is a job and you do have to be on your game to stay tuned and deliver while enjoying the groupies, free drinks, drugs, et al (Not once in this interview do I condone the use of drugs or am I admitting to taking them myself – Just Say NO!! 1980’s drug campaign)

*Speaking of flying abroad, you are back in Holland to headline the Sessions exclusively for the third time... you haven’t played for any Dutch organisation that many times. What are your experiences of The Sessions so far and what do you expect from this gig at this brand new venue?
Yeah, back in Holland I think it is more than three times for CJ and his Sessions gang? Nice group of people, always about the music, up for fun, walking on frozen lakes and staying up late and getting in a right mess. So, I am back, I know this group have a great following that are so loyal to what the Sessions is all about. Therefore playing is always great, if it’s at one of the smaller venues or one of their bigger events.

*You have been making music with Sessions owner C-Jay. What direction is that music taking?
Ha! Ha! I am pretty out there when it comes to music so C-Jay is always reigning me back in when we work together. We have had a few tracks out between us. We are still working on new stuff so it’s a joy working with this ‘loopy looney’ as I call him. C-Jay is loving the progressive and so we are working on some stuff that goes in that direction but I am pushing him to “taste the new style” and as a result we are coming up with some tasty ideas and new flavours for the dance floor and aural delights.

*What have you been up to gig-wise, or have you been just in the studio recently?
I have been a studio whore, but also a little lazy. I have been working on various new projects of note, including the City Gents and Furious Fred. I actually lost an album when my computer blew up was at mastering stage and it had taken me two years!! I am working on a concept called Anti Heroes Audiophonic Orchestra. I am slowly re-working it but it’s not at the forefront of anything I am doing at the moment

Gig-wise I should be rehearsing the new bands but, oops! been partying more than I have been working (you have to show up to all the industry events you know it’s all networking in London!). DJ-wise I have been playing small places that have really sleazy vibes but make for good gigs; hot-model type chicks shagging geeky band members in little cupboards in a dirty pub East End London-style! Because of the band I am playing more diverse gigs and sounds too.

*Can you tell us a bit about your band Broken Dolls?
Yes I can. We were hot (possibly not anymore) since myself and other founder member got kicked out of our own band (so I am going to say that) for being to rock and roll and just plain too cool. That’s all I am going to say about that except our biggest day was playing the NME awards 2006 coming on stage after Ian Brown who had just won God-like genius award! We played Glastonbury, KoKo and the likes, we played them all, and were signed to Norman Cook’s Southern Fried Records (The album is out in July so go and buy it because it contains tracks that I was involved with and anyway it is good!)

*Many DJs are using ableton now, but very few are using it in combination with CDJs and fx boxes too. Please tell our readers a little about your unique set-up for your gig in Amsterdam in July.
I think when you get into Ableton if you come from a production background you can really get the benefits of the system some just use it blandly but if you get creative you can do a set with just four tracks and have loops fx and all sorts going off it’s a little like the old Detroit wild pitch days take a loop and twist it add a drum loop go crazy cut up rhythms from tracks and add it’s intense so you have to keep your wits by you. The end result can be phenomenal - you are basically playing live using tracks as the instruments I know this sort of term has been said before but you are building a track with in a set out there just out there

*Whats next for Mick Wilson after Amsterdam?
Bed, sleep, sex, drink, drugs (see earlier disclaimer) life, oh and a little smidgen of music

*What is the best club you have played?
To hard to say it’s been a long innings but Tokyo, Ibiza, South America have been firm favourites, oh and Amsterdam of course

*Do you have a funny on the road stories?
Too many, but all amazingly true which involve gangsters, hookers, groupies, Columbian drug lords, Japanese yakuza, Russian Mafia, bands, hotels airports, cops cops cops Clubs and the World (If you make up a story with any of these in it it’s basically true!)

*Do you check out 365Mag.com?
Whats that? !!!!!! of course when I am sitting on the loo on the laptop.

On behalf of The Sessions, Groove Collection & 365Mag, many thanks for your time Mick

[url=http://www.thesessions.nl][img]http://forum.groovecollection.nl/images/podcast/sessions_pod.jpg[/img][/url]